St John’s proud history began in 1948 when the school was by founded by Parish Priest Fr Alfred Natali and the Missionary Franciscan Sisters.
The school’s students were from the Silkwood area and were mainly of Italian decent and whose parents worked in the sugar cane industry.
The Sisters served the local community for 40 years, leaving in 1987. Today the dedicated lay staff continues the proud tradition of quality Catholic Education to many of the children and grandchildren of those first students.
The current St John’s community is respectful of the past and excited about the future, as it plays its part in inspiring St John’s students to live the school motto of Always Reaching for New Heights.